Having a mobile website is critical in today’s business environment. More and more users are researching, downloading, browsing and shopping via mobile phones, instead of their Laptop(s) or PC(s). Now this indicates that businesses are focusing on the Mobile sites to drive their revenue. A latest research shows that about 90-95% of all mobile users have their mobile within reach 24/7, which gives a great opportunity for business through mobile.
If you’re looking to develop an efficacious mobile site, you must ensure that your mobile site should be functionally optimized for different devices. The other objectives of your mobile site should be to make it highly responsive, and highly user engaging while still having maximum functionality. Your site should follow a simple design highlighting important information along with a free-flowing navigation.
Some of the important objectives to keep in mind while designing a mobile site:
You may have to derive the reason for your users visit and the type of content expected on your site from your business objectives.
The rest follow…
Ø Defining Users for your Mobile site: Identifying and listing the type of audience you would wish to have on your site (Country, Gender, and other Demographic data)
Ø Content vs. Aesthetics of your mobile site: Emphasizing on content rather than rich graphics on your site.
Ø Ease of Navigation and pivoting your mobile site
Ø Maintaining the Clarity and Focus of your site
Ø Retaining User(s): Creating content on your site, which makes the users come back to your site
Understanding the mindset of the users have become a key factor in designing mobile site.
Some of the important Tips for designing a Mobile site:
1. Simple Design: Single / Double columns sites are the most preferred design when it comes to mobile sites. This also gives an ease of Navigation to other pages. Majority of popular sites these days follow single column.
2. Navigation: Horizontal navigation makes it more user friendly over vertical. This will also help you in creating more space for your content. And if your revenue stream is through advertisements, this will help you in creating more ad spaces.
3. Organizing your content: Stacking your content in a manner, which will make a user navigate with the least number of steps.
4. Mouse Clicks to Finger Tap: Desktop computers allow users to easily handle designs where precise clicking is required, but since mobile devices involve finger and thumb tapping, users need larger buttons which are less exact.
5. Visual Indicators: Using visual indicators enhance the user experience. For any finger tap, there should be a change in appearance or an indication of an action.
6. Mobile Site optimized for all devices: When you design a mobile site, make sure that your site has the same user experience, and compatible with all major Smartphones.
7. Keeping the contents crisp: Users always look for content first, so make sure that you deliver right and strong message to users. Always think from the perspective of an user in terms of what one is looking for? And try to make your content simple and creative.
Ex- “App Monetization: Be a player rather than a viewer”
8. Collapsible pages: Collapsible navigation keeps your mobile design simple and clean. With collapsible navigation menu items can be tapped to expand more options
9. Know Your Audience: Try to understand your audience and their requirements. It helps to grow your business and in achieving your goal. It may take time for you to understand your core audience, but it helps to create a strong hold in market.
10. Know where to place Ads: Make sure you place your ads in such a way that it does not hinder the user experience, and the aesthetics of your mobile site.
11. Analyze your users: Once your site is live, keep checking your users’ behavior and the amount of time they spend on your site, and accordingly make appropriate changes to your mobile site.